About The Museum
The building housing the current museum was built by McQuillien and Co., Toronto in 1895 as the Town’s Pumping House. This included a pump house, filtering basin, brick and timber tanks, 4 miles of mains and 33 hydrants costing $20,930.
Eventually the Public Utilities Department was relocated to the Pump House and the building was colloquially referred to as the "Power House." In the 1940's the chimney was removed and both the Public Utilities and Public Works departments vacated the building leaving it empty.
After a local citizen, Cyrus Sing, donated his collection of memorabilia to the Town, the building was converted to a Museum and opened to the public on July 1, 1961.
Due to a continually expanding collection, more renovations were required, and during the early 1990's many changes were made to the building. Rooms were renovated providing better lighting, more display space and an office. Strict museum climate regulations mandated that all of the building windows had to be covered, and Gunter Neumann provided beautiful painted murals to replace them.
In 1995, an addition was added to the front of the building to act as a foyer and gift shop. Finally, in 1997 a large "Fire Truck Wing" was added to the south end of the building in order to house the Meaford Fire Department's loan of their 1938 Bickle Maple Leaf Fire truck.
In 1999 the "Farm Shed" was built through the generosity of the late Joe Walker. Located at the North end of the museum grounds it houses many of the collections larger artifacts and is opened each day, weather permitting.
Starting in 2004, the Meaford Museum, in partnership with Meaford Hall, received funding from Superbuild and the Municipality of Meaford to rejuvenate these wonderful historic buildings. The inside of the building was once again renovated by insulating the walls, levelling the floors, finishing the attics, adding heating and cooling systems and creating an access to the basement. The Museum was re-opened to the public on May 12 , 2007 after a three year closure.